Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Kyle's Special Night August 30th, 2008


Kyle had gone to several Storm games with me and had gotten to know several of the staff. Sean McCall, the Storm radio announcer on 1700am, was walking through the office one day, and I asked him where I might be able to find a Darrin Erstad Storm Jersey from when he was on the team many years ago....as I wanted to buy one for Kyle for Christmas. Kyle is a HUGE Erstad fan, so I knew if I could find one, it would be the best thing ever. Sean kinda laughed and said good luck finding one. Then he said...you know what, I think I have one in my closet upstairs. Kyle was sitting on the couch in the office, just talking and Sean comes back with a SIGNED Erstad jersey. He was just about to GIVE it to Kyle, when he decided he should ask some of the Storm Bigwigs...they said that they needed to hold on to that. Kyle was bummed but totally understood. He was speechless, just being able to see it and almost get it. Sean felt really bad, as he knew that Kyle would treasure it forever, and it was doing nothing hanging in his closet..but he had to do what they said. Sean told Kyle to come back to another game and he would see if he had anything else from the Erstad days. So, Labor Day weekend, Sean asked if Kyle was coming to any of the games, and I told him yes, to Saturday's game. He said...great...make sure he sees me. I said alright. Well, that was the day we went to Katrina's first, and of course, Kyle did not want to leave, he wanted to stay and hang out with Trevor. I told him, NO...I already told Sean you were coming to the game. Kyle was like, just tell him, something came up....you see, Sean had blown him off twice before this, so he was thinking it was going to happen again. I told him that Sean asked to see him, so he reluctantly came with me. He finally went up to the Press Box...and Sean wasn't in there yet....then I saw Sean in the office, and he asked me where Kyle was, and I said he had just gone upstairs to see you....so he went upstairs to find Kyle. About a half hour later, Kyle comes into the office...and he has a signed Erstad bat, and a HUGE smile. He day was made!! Sean told him to come back in the 3rd inning. Kyle went back upstairs, and I was listening to Sean online, so I know what is happening in the game...and the next thing you know, I hear...I have Young Kyle Teague with me tonight, a huge Storm fan and Darrin Erstad fan...he is the son of Shari Teague, who is a faithful Storm employee...all this was broadcast over the radio. I couldn't believe it. Kyle was up there for a few innings and then came back downstairs...by that time, Rick had come to the game. A little later, Rick and Kyle went back to see Sean, and this time he announces that he has Rick Teague, husband of Shari Teague, and Kyle Teague in the booth with him.....wow...announced on the radio twice in one night. Both Kyle and I. It was a cool night. Check out the picture of Kyle with his signed bat. You can barely see where it is signed...but it is!!